Close Menu
Home / Parent-Child Matters

Parent-Child Legal Matters in Houston, TX

Family law issues involving children


Although adoption begins with a deeply personal decision, it entails a comprehensive legal process. Texas law outlines all issues surrounding adoption, including who may adopt and be adopted, protocol and qualifications, and the legal issues involved for both parents and children. When an adoption is finalized, parent-child relationships are firmly established for all rights and responsibilities. Learn more about adoption in Texas.

Assisted Reproduction

Assisted Reproductive Technology Law pertains to methods used for a woman to become pregnant without sexual intercourse. The methods include intracervical insemination (ICI), intrauterine insemination (IUI), egg donation, embryo donation and transfer, in vitro fertilization (IVF), and intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection. Learn more about family laws in Texas involving assisted reproduction.

Child Custody

Creating a sensible parenting plan that promotes positive relationships between a child and both parents is favorable, but not always possible. If parents are not able to reach an agreement regarding the custody of their children, or if there are extenuating circumstances involved, Texas courts will determine an arrangement based on the best interests of a child. Learn more about child custody in Texas.


If your ex-spouse fails to follow through with their end of the court order, you can request that the court hold them in contempt and pay for your attorney’s fees. This is done through a process called enforcement. Enforcement legally forces a person to obey a court order. If your ex-spouse is not following their responsibilities after the divorce, it is important you seek qualified legal counsel. Learn more about enforcing your court order.

Support Modifications

In order to get a modification, you (or your former spouse) must demonstrate a material and substantial change in your personal circumstances. This might include:

  • A new job, especially if it requires you to move
  • A significant decrease in your income
  • Relocation (moving far away)
  • You or your child has become ill

Regardless of the specific reason behind your request, you must establish a cause. This is called a “change in circumstances” and the court will not approve the modification without it. Learn more about how to obtain a modification in Texas.


Paternity establishes the identity of your child’s father. In some cases, the law assumes paternity; in others—such as the case of an unmarried couple—the child’s parents must legally establish the identity of the father. Learn more about paternity rights in Texas.


Have you been awarded primary custody of your children? If so, then you may be entitled to receive child support payments from the other, non-custodial parent. Conversely, if you have been awarded shared custody or visitation rights, you may be obligated to provide support. Learn more about your rights involving child support.